This position paper provides recommendations on the use of floor mounted signage with a particular focus on minimising its use and potential application in individual cases.
The paper outlines that successful wayfinding relies on a person:
- Being able to understand their environment
- Orientating themselves in a physical space
- Being able to decide to go somewhere
- Knowing their destination
- Knowing and following a route
- Recognising the destination on arrival
Although studies have indicated some benefits of floor signage for people with dementia who are vision impaired, these are limited.